Right here’s how issues stand on Tuesday, February 6, 2024:
Humanitarian disaster in Gaza
- At the least 27,478 folks have been killed and 66,835 wounded in Israeli assaults on Gaza since October 7.
- A convoy of vans ready to carry meals into the Gaza Strip was hit by Israeli hearth on Monday, in keeping with UNRWA director Thomas White. There have been no casualties however items had been broken.
- The Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza Metropolis obtained a “surge of injured folks” after the “speedy deterioration” of al-Shifa Hospital, in keeping with the World Well being Group (WHO).
- Some 6,000 persons are additionally ready to be evacuated from the Strip for essential medical care, the United Nations Workplace for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) says.
- Round 8,000 folks sheltering in al-Amal Hospital had been in a position to go away after two weeks of siege, in keeping with the Palestinian Purple Crescent Society (PRCS).
- OCHA says 66 p.c of deliberate humanitarian missions to distribute meals and water and to supply hospital help had been denied by Israeli authorities in January. In the meantime, Jordanian and Dutch troops collectively airdropped help provides into Gaza, in addition to medical provides.
Regional tensions and diplomacy
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is visiting the Center East to push for a truce between Israel and Hamas in addition to the discharge of captives in Gaza and Palestinian prisoners in Israel.
- A Barbados-flagged, UK-owned cargo ship was attacked by a drone within the Purple Sea, 57km (round 35 miles) west of the Yemeni metropolis of Hodeidah. Yemen’s Houthis have been attacking cargo ships within the Purple Sea since November in protest at Israel’s conflict on Gaza.
- The UN has appointed an unbiased panel to research its help company for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, following accusations that its workers had been concerned in Hamas’s October 7 assaults in southern Israel, and the next lower to funding from primary donors like the USA and Germany.
- China and Russia representatives at a UN Safety Council assembly mentioned the US is escalating tensions and had impinged on different nations’ sovereignty by finishing up air strikes in Syria and Iraq over the weekend. The strikes had been in response to the killing of US troops in Jordan final week however the US has admitted it didn’t give Iraq prior discover of strikes.
- Amir Ohana, speaker of the Knesset, met with UN nationwide safety adviser Jake Sullivan on Monday and mentioned Israel’s aim in Gaza was the “full defeat of Hamas”. Ohana additionally mentioned that “the Iranian-led axis of evil should really feel the resolve of the free world within the form of a diplomatic and army iron curtain”, referring to rising tensions in Yemen, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria.
Occupied West Financial institution
- Israel has been accused of withholding the physique of a 14-year-old Palestinian boy, killed by Israeli forces within the occupied West Financial institution on Monday, from his family. Defence for Youngsters Worldwide, a civil society organisation, mentioned the motion violates worldwide regulation.
- Israeli forces have arrested a minor from the village of Aqqa and two younger brothers from the village of Asfi, each within the hamlet of Masafer Yatta, south of Hebron within the occupied West Financial institution, the Wafa information company studies. Raids have been reported in 5 different areas of the West Financial institution previously few days.