Sha’Carri Richardson captivated your entire nation when she received the Olympic trials for the 100-meter dash in her iconic orange hair and enormous eyelashes and bumped into the stands to seek out her grandmother.1 She earned her spot to signify our nation, however the United States Anti-Doping Company has handed down a harsh punishment forcing her to overlook the 2021 Olympic video games—which is why MoveOn members and allies delivered almost 600,000 signatures in particular person yesterday to demand that Sha’Carri be allowed to run.
Elena, a MoveOn member and runner, was excited for the upcoming Olympic video games, solely to be crushed by the information that Sha’Carri was banned from competing for an outrageous, outdated, and irrational rule round marijuana. So she signed a MoveOn petition together with almost 600,000 members, calling upon USADA, the Worldwide Olympic Committee, and the World Anti-Doping Company to let Sha’Carri run.
And it’s why Elena organized alongside Isabella and Tom to ship the petition to the USADA. Take a look at fellow MoveOn members, our companions at NORML Colorado, state Representatives Naquetta Ricks and Jonathan Singer, and drug coverage knowledgeable Professor Santiago Guerra supporting Sha’Carri at a run and rally in Colorado Springs, the place the USADA is headquartered—an motion lined by Westword and native information station KRDO, all of which added to the weeks of publicity which has pushed this situation and the better explanation for rewriting our marijuana legal guidelines into the general public discourse.2,3
MoveOn members’ calls for are clear: Reverse Sha’Carri’s suspension and take away THC/marijuana from the banned substances checklist. Marijuana shouldn’t be a performance-enhancing drug, is authorized the place Sha’Carri was, and for many years has wrongly been used to criminalize Black and brown communities.
And we’re not alone in being outraged by the U.S. Anti-Doping Company’s determination. Take a look at a few of what has transpired during the last two weeks to assist Sha’Carri:
- Nearly 600,000 MoveOn members signed the petition, the second largest petition thus far this yr.
- Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jamie Raskin formally requested the USADA to finish Sha’Carri’s suspension.4
- The hashtag #LetShaCarriRun took over Twitter, with celebrities and influencers like Debra Messing,5 David Zirin,6 and Adina Porter7 exhibiting their assist in droves.
- The large petition by MoveOn members was included in tons of articles by ESPN, “The In the present day Present,” NBC’s “Nightly Information,” NPR, Black Enterprise, and lots of extra.8,9,10,11
The combat towards the criminalization of Black, brown, and Indigenous folks and communities for marijuana use continues. This week, U.S. Senators Cory Booker, Charles Schumer, and Ron Wyden launched laws that may be a historic first step in undoing the harms brought on by unjust drug insurance policies. The laws would decriminalize weed and make investments the income in restorative justice to people and communities who’ve lengthy suffered.12
The story of Sha’Carri Richardson is one in all hope, greatness, and the ability of collective motion. Collectively, we are able to preserve this momentum going. Will you share this graphic on Twitter at present to point out your solidarity with Sha’Carri Richardson?
Thanks for all you do.
P.S. Don’t neglect: Anytime you get outraged or need members to take collective motion with you, you can begin a petition right here. It takes only some minutes and may create lasting influence.
1. “Olympic monitor star Sha’Carri Richardson: Hug with grandmother was ‘unforgettable,’” “TODAY,” June 25, 2021
2. “Marijuana Supporters Rally in Colorado Springs for Sha’Carri Richardson,” Westword, July 15, 2021
3. “#RunforShaCarri rally & petition supply occurring at U.S. Anti-Doping company Thursday,” KRDO, July 15, 2021
4. “AOC urges U.S. Anti-Doping Company to finish Sha’Carri Richardson’s suspension,” Axios, July 3, 2021
5. Tweet by Debra Messing, July 2, 2021
6. Tweet by David Zirin, July 2, 2021
7. Tweet by Adina Porter, July 4, 2021
8. “’Let Sha’Carri run!’ – petition for Sha’Carri Richardson to run in Tokyo nears purpose,” ESPN, July 8, 2021
9. “Sha’Carri Richardson’s 1-month suspension means she is not going to compete in Olympics,” “TODAY,” July 5, 2021
10. “Saturday Sports activities: Sha’Carri Richardson Suspended For Optimistic Marijuana Check,” NPR, July 3, 2021
11. “PETITION FOR SHA’CARRI RICHARDSON’S REINSTATEMENT HAS GARNERED OVER 450,000 SIGNATURES; SUSPENDED AFTER POSITIVE MARIJUANA TEST,” Black Enterprise, July 5, 2021
12. “Senate Democratic leaders unveil draft invoice to legalize marijuana,” Roll Name, July 14, 2021